What should I do to prepare my property for sale?
What is the Residential Property Disclosure?
How will an agent market my property?
How should a property be priced?
What should I tell my agent about my selling motivation?
What characteristics should I look for in an agent?
First impressions are critical for prospective buyers. Many times having the property clean and well maintained can result in a faster sale at a higher sales price. Reducing clutter and a fresh coat of paint or stain may make all the difference. Scott Team Realty agents can recommend which improvements are necessary to successfully compete against other properties currently on the market. It is a good idea to talk with us prior to making improvements. There may be some areas that are critical to today’s buyers that you may not see right away.Back to top
The Residential Property Disclosure is a form created by the state of North Carolina to help sellers disclose to buyers the condition of their properties. State law allows buyers of residential properties of less than four units to void their contracts with the seller for three days after contract ratification if this form has not been signed by both parties prior to the offer. Your Realtor can help you understand other implications of this form. Back to top
In the past real estate companies market specific properties at different price ranges and in different locations in their classified advertisements to cause their phones to ring. This is not as important as it used to be because many buyers today have smart phones and can access details about the property as they drive around. Photos and descriptions of property are more important than they ever have been. Furthermore, the agent must know houw to get that information out to the places where buyers search. If an agent is just placing a sign in the yard, putting the property in the MLS system and an advertisement in a magazine then that may not be enough.Back to top
A property should be offered at a price that will encourage people to view it when compared to similar properties that have sold recently and ones that are currently on the market. It is important to know the current market conditions as well. If property values are going up then pricing it slightly above the latest sale may still result in sales activity. If property values are still going down then you should price it at or below the last similar sale. Buyers are less likely to look at a house that is over priced because they do not want to offend a seller with a low offer. Also, the property should not be priced so low that the property is sold for less than it is worth. Agents and appraisers are experts in weighing the features, conditions, locations and other criteria of similar properties and determining a range for a seller to consider. Back to top
When a seller first meets a Realtor, the agent represents the seller. North Carolina law requires agents to work for the seller until they reach an agency agreement with the buyer. If the seller does not enter into written agency agreement then at some later date the agent may represent a buyer in the sale of that property. Therefore, a seller should be careful about what they tell an agent until they have a written agency agreement. Back to top
Choosing the right agent can make a significant difference in how long the property will be on the market and how close to the asking price you will receive for your property. Below are a few characteristics sellers should look for in a listing agent: Back to top
• High level of energy: Selecting an agent with a high level of energy will usually result in the agent completing the tasks necessary to properly market the property.
• Market specialization: Your agent should specialize in your area. Typically this agent will know a greater number of buyers that are interested in property similar to yours as well as have a high level of pricing expertise in your area. Also, this agent will be an expert on the positive and negative selling features of your property compared to neighbors.
• Empathy: You need an agent who can see things from your point of view as well as the point of view of potential buyers. Seeing your point of view helps the agent best meet your needs and understanding buyers wants and needs helps the agent show a buyer how your property meets those needs.
• Networking skills: Agents and buyers will work with people they know and like. A listing agent that is well respected and a good communicator will give the seller an extra edge.
• Experience: Regardless of the market, it helps to hire an agent with a high level of experience. In weak market, you will need an agent to market the property effectively and in a strong market you need a skillful agent to handle the nuances of multiple offers.
• Good communicator: You need an agent who can verbalize what’s going on in the current market and who is not hesitant to provide you with the facts regardless if they are good or bad. Having the all the facts, figures and information is critical in making the best decisions.