Selling vacation homes can be challenging. Today’s buyers watch HGTV where home updates are the norm instead of the exception. Often times OBX vacation homes don’t have those updates. If you are preparing to sell or not getting activity on your home then here are five items that will encourage buyers to look and make offers. By doing some of these simple updates you may make your home stand out among all the ones for sale.
- Tidy yard and exterior: Pruning trees and/or bushes can often be done by the homeowner and result in better curb appeal. Flower beds with fresh mulch also help with the important first impression. If you have the natural beach look then add some native flowers. Clean up leaves, sticks and other debris as well as pressure wash exterior surfaces like decks and driveways.
- Strong Rentals: Most second homeowners are looking for some rental income from the house. Strong rentals may cost time, energy and some additional marketing dollars. A few dollars spent marketing on AirBNB or other vacation rental site can result in many more weeks booked. Many homeowners also have their own vacation home web sites to promote their house. They’ll drive traffic to that site through social media.
- Fresh Paint: Most buyers don’t want to start painting shortly after purchase. Paint can make a home look almost new. Choose mostly neutral colors but don’t paint the entire inside of the house white. A little color adds warmth.
- Flooring in good condition: Most buyers won’t want to live with worn or damaged flooring and will reduce their offering price by its cost. Today’s new flooring, like vinyl planking, can change the feel of the entire house.
- Updated fixtures: Dated lighting and plumbing fixtures are a turn off to a buyer. It is unlikely you’ll receive all your money back for these when you sell but new fixtures may be what it takes to get that offer.
Scott Team Realty often provides free home valuations for sellers and buyers. We’d also be happy to make some suggestions to help you receive the best return on your investment. Please call on us!